If you are a novice foodie inspiring to be a dining connoisseur, you may plan a trip to travel the tastes around the compass. From the Northern icy regions to the Southern edges of the ocean, the foods you find will have their own flavorful flair. You will notice a trend within the menus that offer some hints to the areas novel dishes. Before you charter the course (no pun intended), knowing what to look for in the pattern will help you know what to expect along your way.
The weather, elevation and properties will determine the diverse types of plant life and animals indigenous to the region. There are several meal clues to observe that coincide with the surrounding nature and customs.
- How a dish is served and prepared holds the indicators of an areas history. The tradition of cooking is passed down for generations. In some places in the world, you will note the foods they eat tell a story of their ancestry and culture. The method and manner of the meal largely relies on the location.
- Meat and vegetables are grown and raised locally in most instances. There may be some items brought in from nearby neighborhoods or imported for a wider selection. You are likely to find the options are mostly found close to home.
- Herbs are the bread and butter of any recipe. The spices incorporated have a definite palate pattern. In various countries, the essence of their flavors are consistent across the specials board. A dash of spice and the gentler undertone of added herbs is originated in varied locales.
- In certain cultures, there is an emphasis on the meat and vegetables are served as a side dish. On the opposite end of the table, the vegetable is the main course with trimmings of meat to compliment the taste. The balance is determined on the lifestyle and belief system of the lands you are researching.
- The process of cooking a meal varies from modern devices to heated coals and wood. An array of pans such as woks and specialty skillets assist in cooking the dish to perfection. The type of accessories used is generally utilized specifically to the area when serving an original entree.
- Hearty sauces or finishing touches vary in the base of which they are made. Wine, oils and stocks are heavily used all over the world. National differences will mark the prevalence of the sauces components.
Other factors to watch for have less to do with the actual food. The presentation as a whole plated meal or individual servings are common to the locality of the menu. Another hint is within the portion sizes. Western countries tend to have larger portions than their eastern counterparts. The order of dining events is displayed culturally, and might differ from place to place. Desserts may be offered in the middle or end of the meal versus some districts who scarcely have them on their menu. In the end, it’s all depending on the choice and preference.